Sunday, June 6, 2010

Preston Street Garage Sale Saturday

This beautiful, tree lined street is one of the main thoroughfares from North Ennis to downtown. There are beaufiful homes on either side of the street that comprise the Templeton McCanless Historic District, where many of the homes were constructed in the early 1900's. We live on just North of the historic district, and our house was built in 1945. For the past several years, neighbors along Preston have held simultaneous yard sales during the first weekend in June.Although the temperature would eventually reach the century mark for the first time this year today, the morning was perfect for two wheeling around town. I started at Starbucks for my most common breakfast of loaded oatmeal and strong black coffee.

These pictures show just a couple of the sales. Baylor Baptist Church had a sale on their vacant lot that benefited the children's ministry. At another sale, I saw a heavy duty bike rack for sale for $200.00. That's a pretty high ticket item for a yard sale, but I sure would like to see some racks like that installed around town.




Most folks I know don't take the time to read the historic markers in their own hometown. Ennis started out as a railroad town and both my father and grandfather worked for the Southern Pacific Railroad. Ennis has a really nice railroad museum, really worth going to see. My father also used to tell me about Miss Katie Daffan. Apparently she was somewhat of a local character, but a brilliant lady who made significant contributions to the state's literature and journalism.

I rode out to Braums for lunch, not EXACTLY on my low cholesterol diet, but maybe I rode enough to cycle through the extra calories!

After lunch I rode out to the hospital to visit a friend. Ennis is very fortunate to have this medical facility in our community, and it took a significant effort by the city and the hospital in partership to have this beautiful new building as part of our town.

I spent several hours on and off the bike today, from about 7AM til 2PM. The weather was great, and from a bicycle, you get to interact with so much more than you can in an automobile. I posted this last picture to show the newest addition to the bike I rebuilt as my commuter bike...fenders! They aren't too important on a day like today, although they did keep water from splashing up on me when I went through the Baylor street railroad underpass that was still holding water from the last rain.

Til next time...tailwinds!










































No comments:

Post a Comment