Saturday, September 25, 2010

Hill Climbing

Today was my grandaughter Atalie's second birthday party in Tyler, Tx. I took my road bike with me, because I knew I wanted to go for a brief ride.

About 4 years ago, not long after I started riding, I tried to climb a steep hill in Tyler and could not make the top without getting off and walking. I've climbed a lot of hills in the past 4 years, but none as steep and long as the one in Tyler. If you know Tyler, the hill is Dulse Street near Green Acres Baptist Church.

My road bike has 27 gears, but to make the hill, I only needed one...the lowest one. I almost NEVER stand on the pedals, but I made it up the hill standing on that lowest gear. I did not have my bike computer on the bike. I do not know how slow one can actually go without falling over for lack of speed, but I would estimate that I crested the hill at 3MPH!

Next week is the Paluxy Pedal at Glen Rose. I hear they have a hill on that ride that only about 10% of the riders make it up. I'll let you know....

2 comments:

  1. I can't even imagine that hill on a bike....we've got some pretty wicked hills around here as well, but none that long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue. Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank You. carbon mtb rim

    ReplyDelete