Saturday, January 1, 2011

MY VERY FIRST BIKE RIDE...of the year!


I don't remember the first time I ever rode a bicycle. I do remember my sisters helping me learn, running along, holding on, turning loose, watching me fall, and helping me get up again. Eventually I kept pedalling away, and I "got it". Today was nothing like that, but the first ride of the new year is significant, because I set the odometers on all three bikes to "00000" to get a fresh start recording the miles for 2011.

I chose to ride my road bike "Tonto" today because it was cold with a north wind, and Tonto has lots of gears to make the riding easier. This is the bike I ride at rallies of 30 miles or more. Today I rode a little over 11 miles.



We (Tonto and I) paused after about 8 miles at the park at the end of Baldridge Street for a drink of water before making our way back home. From the picture you can see I had some extra clothing on today, ear muffs, fleece gloves, a wool jersey and a light windbreaker. The cold wind obviously dried out my skin, making me look older than my 55 years, deepening the wrinkles. Or perhaps I'm just getting old.

Nah!

2 comments:

  1. I'm certain that the cold wind was the culprit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - I remember picking you up - now you've picked me up! 143 Mellie

    ReplyDelete